Fibromyalgia

So I should probably start with making it clear what Fibromyalgia is:

Fibromyalgia, also called fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS), is a long-term condition that causes pain all over the body.  (NHS) 

For a while I was experiencing a lot of pain all over my body the best way I could describe how it feels is it's like an electric shock that moves around your body. I often get it in my neck then it moves down my arm into my hand. It's a horrible feeling that comes unexpectedly.

It's important to note that fibromyalgia affects people differently. One minute I can be relaxing sitting watching TV and the next my leg is cramping and my feet feel numb. 

Now the pain I can deal with probably because I've had no choice but to deal with it as I know it's going nowhere. It's difficult to medicate I've got antidepressants which also act as painkillers and I've got another painkiller too but when I take them they often impact my sleep which in turns impacts my fatigue throughout the day. 

I've tried researching fibromyalgia to better understand and attempt to manage it. Worryingly, I've read a lot how some medications have impacted people negatively there's lots of people who mention how pregabalin has affected their memory and made them feel really drowsy. Now this is the one symptom of fibromyalgia that affects me the most...the brain fog. I've always been quite proud of my memory but I've noticed since my fibromyalgia diagnosis I'm often forgetting things, nothing major just little things which often can be very frustrating. 

Fibromyalgia to me is a bit of a catch 22 especially if you've got additional illnesses as they can often impact one another and no matter how hard you try to manage the symptoms it's incredibly challenging. I wish it would go away but that wish is never gonna come true I can only hope that it won't progress.

Let me know if you've got fibromyalgia and how it impacts you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment