Eye Spy


I haven't shared this with you yet but a few years ago the optition found a mark on the back of my eye. I was sent to the hospital and they initially thought it was eye cancer. Fortunately it wasn't but what I didn't forsee was the years of eye problems ahead. 

I first noticed my vision was deteriorating when I couldn't read the writing on the TV. I went back to the optition and once again back to the eye hospital. I must have met all the consultants until one was finally able to give me a diagnosis. 

It turns out I have keratoconus, it's basically where the cornea on the eye turns dome shaped which causes blurred vision. It doesnt affect me unless I cover my good eye and then my vision is completely blurred. It made me really paranoid cause I thought if something happens to my good eye then I'd basically be blind. 

We discussed all the possible treatments like laser eye surgery and some special contact lenses but under unfortunately my keratoconus was too far advanced, one consultant even said his never seen a case detoriate so quick. 

There's no official cause of keratoconus but there are some links to hay fever and eczema and surprise surprise I have both. There is only one option which is a corneal transplant. 

I've been on the waiting list for a few years and there aren't many donors, just my luck I was waiting for my gastric sleeve and both operations came round at the same time so I had to postpone my corneal transplant. 

Tomorrow I've got an appointment for my second pre-op so if every thing goes ahead I'll be having my operation any day now. I'm a little anxious as I'm not sure what to expect I have looked it up online and the operation sounds a little scary but at least I won't be awake for it and hopefully it will be a success. 

I've never met anyone else who has keratoconus or had a corneal transplant. Let me know if you have any experience or advice. Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment