Firstly, I never created this blog to inspire anyone. I simply wanted to find a way of treating my mental health, I find it hard talking to people so end up keeping everything bottled up which only leads to a breakdown. I needed a way to channel my thoughts and release some of the negative feelings in my body. I recently set up a Facebook page to promote this blog and while it only has 5 followers, it's one of the best things I ever did. And here is why...on this blog I have over 17,000 views in just under 3 months but I have never received any messages and rarely do I get comments. But yesterday a lad messaged me on my Facebook page and here is what he said....
"Hi Tom, I was inspired by your blog and decided it was time to start my own, if you have time could you please have a look at how I've started and feel free to give me any pointers! Thank You"
Now reading that you may not think much of it but there's two things which point out in it and that's the word "inspired" and little do you know his first blog post is about his battle with depression and suicidal thoughts. I can't describe how touching it was to receive that message and to think that this blog has inspired another young person to share their story with mental health is remarkable!
Talking about mental health is incredibly difficult for anyone but especially men, we are much more reserved and feel as though we will be laughed at, not understood and our masculinity will take a beating. So, to think I helped another man feel comfortable to open up about his mental health means the world to me, that man is Dan Glynne and I highly recommend you read his blog it's an honest read and I admire his bravery!.

Hi Tom :)
ReplyDeleteI have to admit that it is the first time I am reading a blog written by a man with such an in-depth content.
You are right talking about mental health is incredibly difficult for anyone...
Mental illness is so difficult to talk about, as there is definitely a negative stigma, so I deeply admire and am very impressed by people who are able to talk about it with such openness and honesty, and it is fantastic that you are able to inspire others to share as well.
ReplyDeleteI think it's very brave and it takes courage to talk about mental healthy on a blog. It's a delicate subject but most of people are struggling one way or another with a form of mental disorder (even if it's anxiety, or depression, they are still mental disorders). And when your blog starts to inspire people, that's a very important accomplishment for you. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you are saying. I do not necessarily talk about what is bothering me / on my mind in my posts, but I do feel better OVERALL by expressing whatever it is that I *am* expressing in my blogs. It's a nice outlet for sure. Heading over to your friend's blog!
ReplyDeleteI respect what you're doing with your blog, it takes a lot of courage to open up about mental illness.I applaud you.
ReplyDeleteGetting to know that you are an inspiration for someone is so amazing. Don't you just feel on top of the world?
ReplyDeleteFatima | www.blogsbyfa.com
Blogs can be used for a million different things, and talking about mental health can be difficult. Can't say I've suffered badly with it, but it's great to see people open about their issues as a way of treating it. Loved this post!
ReplyDeleteYes! The power of inspiration! I think that is so important for us! I need motivate myself every day and great inspirational stories teach us every time something new! Greetings!
ReplyDeleteIt's a tough thing to be real on the internet, especially about something so personal. Keep leading, and others will benefit from your journey.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy that with your life story you can help yourself and others.
ReplyDeleteIt is indeed the biggest achievement for anyone if his/her work or words inspire others. Your writings do have that healing effect that can calm a tumultuous mind. keep up the good job!
ReplyDeleteTotally agree with you! Inspiration is a great source of goodness t ourselves to always do better than we would.
ReplyDeleteMakeUp Fun
Wow! That is just awesome. Congratulations my friend. That is such a fulfilling feeling. Always remember that what you do is making a difference. No matter how small, it will always count. Keep it up my friend!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great feeling to know you inspired someone through your blog... happy you are having such great success with lots of views, and well, with everything... keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteWow that is really lovely feedback to hear! It's absolutely fantastic that your blog is making a difference to other people's lives and changing them for the better. You should be really proud of what you have done for yourself and those reading your blog too!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your 17k views and keep it up. It's not easy to voice out or speak about mental health issue. Awesome to hear your post inspired Dan to blog about his.
ReplyDelete